DIY Embroidery Hoop Brooch Display

Like any respectable, 20-something, granny-in-training, I love a good brooch. I don’t wear much jewelry, but when I do, I usually grab a cute pin. They are just so fun! It’s like wearing a little piece of art on your shirt all day. Over the years I’ve developed a small collection that I hope continues to grow over time. Recently, when I saw my favorite brooches all huddled in a mass on the top of my dresser, I realized they needed a proper display. To continue my embroidery obsession, I decided to pin them to some fabric in a giant hoop and hang it on my bathroom wall.
To make it extra special, I embroidered a few extra “brooches” directly onto the fabric. The embroidered brooches definitely declare this hoop as a “brooch only” space. Haha.
I added a sparkling jewel too! To make the embroidered brooches I just doodled the shapes onto the fabric with pencil and started stitching. This project really inspired me to make an entire hoop of embroidered doodles!

It is so fun seeing projects from my journal of ideas come to life! Now my brooches can act as wall art when I’m not pinning one to my favorite sweater. I can’t wait to add a few more to my collection. :)

I love the idea of turning things I already have, like fabric and brooches, into something new. I guess that’s the beauty of DIY. :)

Have you tried any new projects lately?

1. madebyrori says:

This. Is. GENIUS! Totally stealing this idea for all the brooches and pins I love but never wear b/c I hate poking holes in my clothes.

2. OH MY GOODNESS. This is adorable, and exactly what I was looking for!
    I need some sort of corkboard display to hang up miscellaneous things.
    This is so perfect! Thank you!

3. Karen says:

So adorable! I love your style!

4. Very nice idea! You’re so crafty, love your style. Have a beautiful weekend :-)

5. Jen says:

WOW! I absolutely love this idea! I may need to give embroidery a try – totally inspirational.

6. Becky says:

Haha granny-in-training! I love it!

Becky
    xx

7. This is one of the cutest ideas I’ve seen in AGES!! And Meredith, you may be a granny-in-training, but I was born middle-aged – what a couple of rock n rollers! Sarah x hometoroostblog.blogspot.co.uk

8. Kristin says:

This is such a cute idea! I collect brooches, too- vintage ones and quirky ones from Etsy. I might have to make one of these for my lighter brooches, but I’d have to use something sturdier, like a glassless frame, for my heavier ones. :)

~Kristin

9. sinead says:

i absolutely love this idea…!

10. Jessica says:

I’m completely in LOVE with this idea lady! All of my brooches are scattered all over the place so I forget to wear them! Definitely need to implement this clever organizational hoop; embroidery is so near and dear to my heart (:

11. cupcakecutie says:

Gorgeous idea. Very neat stitching too!

12. Annika says:

I love the polaroid camera one it is so cute!!!

13. very, very cute! you have such a unique style :)xx

14. Savanah says:

20-Something grannies-in-waiting unite! :)

15. Ms. Megan says:

So clever!! I may have to do this!! PS Can you share where you got your brooches?? I love them all!! :) xo

16. Erica says:

What a fun way to display brooches. I’ve been meaning to start on some projects involving embroidery hoops also. I’ve also got a few projects planned with books. I can’t wait to share!

Have a great weekend! :)

17. Mrs. D says:

This is such a great idea! I will be keeping it in mind for the future no doubt!

18. Sanaa. says:

How adorable! I am loving all the embroidery you have been posting about lately; It is so pretty :) I especially love the idea of pinning jewelry and knick knacks to embroidery hoops! Must try that at some point!

19. Rebecca Jane says:

I seriously need to try this!

20. Erin says:

You have absolutely inspired me to get out some embroidering thread and needles. I’ve been working on my first ever cross stitch project for like three weeks now. I’m pumped to start some embroidery next. We should work on a project together sometime. :) Love this project you shared here sooo much.

21. I’m loving all your embroidery projects as of late! So very inspiring! I used to embroider little hankies with my mom and grandmother, but I haven’t touched a needle and embroidery floss since I was in grade school. I’d love to pick it up again, and might even purchase the alphabet sampler you shared a while ago! :)

22. What a lovely idea!

Emma xx

23. Anonymous says:

Hi, Meredith… Wow! I am impressed! Lots of creativity & talent! Did you know that your Great Grandmother Hazel embroidered? As a little girl, not yet in school. I sat with my mom/Hazel & her friend Rose as they embroidered & my mom got me started doing it with them. Haven’d done this for years – your ‘Blog’ inspires me to get going & do some stitching. Love Great Aunt Harriet/Fargo

24. Allie says:

This is way too pretty, Meredith! It seems as though you’ve really caught on to embroidery…you’re already so good at it!

xo, Allie

25. yoojin says:

Oh, what a cute idea!!! :) :) Have to try this! I love brooches too, but never really know how to wear them properly. ;)

26. Kat says:

What a fantastic idea! Love your collection of brooches!

27. Naomi George says:

This was too cute! I would love to try something like this sometime :)

♥ Naomi {Starry Eyes + Coffee Cups}

28. Kailey says:

Such a truly incredible idea – my mind is swimming with the possibilities! Thank you so so much for sharing <3

29. My Hideaway says:

This is a great idea! I should do this to display my brooches while they’re waiting for a new home. ;)

30. Jennifer M. says:

I just love your embroidery! You really should put some of that into your Etsy shop. It’s so distinctly YOU that I think people would really resonate with it.

31. Geli Bee says:

Lovely posts! Amazing work :)

32. Tippy says:

This is so cute! It’s melting my heart.
    Now I want to start sewing too! <3